DC Comics, Don’t Forget The Batman Day Comic Shop
DC Comics just released this year’s Batman Day news for September 16, 2020. But they seem to have forgotten someone.
DC today unveiled plans for a worldwide celebration of Batman Day on September 19, 2020, inviting fans of all ages around the world to participate in a wide range of Batman-themed activities to honor the iconic DC Super Hero. For the first time, fans have the opportunity to drive with a “Batman and The Riddler” theme on Waze. And to complete the experience, you can listen to Waze and DC Super Hero or Super-Villain playlists on Spotify while driving via the Waze Audio Player feature. Plus, free digital comics, free activity kits for kids, a virtual Batman 5K / 10K run / walk, and even a digital mystery to solve in which fans can don their cape and hood and transform into themselves the strongest.
All of the previous ones, so-called Batman Day, featured products that comic book stores could offer and sell, with special promotional activities encouraging people to find their local comic book store.
Fans can also team up with Batman to protect Gotham City in a variety of digital activities, like joining the celebration on social media and helping Batman piece together a series of clues left by The Riddler. If you manage to decode these malicious clues, you’ll unlock exclusive, limited-time revelations! The adventure begins when the Virtual Bat-Signal comes on at 12:00 p.m. PT on September 18 on Twitter @DCComics.
But this year ? Not really. All promotion is digital.
The new Waze Batman theme lets over 100 million monthly active Waze users ride with Batman and The Riddler from August 31 through October 31. Waze drivers can choose to hear Batman-style instructions, voiced by Batman: The Animated Series actor Kevin Conroy, as well as select a custom Batmobile icon and Batman mood. Drivers who want a slightly meaner experience can select The Riddler’s voice prompts (voiced by actor Wally Wingert), mood, and custom vehicle. Waze users around the world can experience the Batman theme in English, Spanish, and Portuguese.
While no one would expect a free Comic Book Day-style event just yet, one would have expected Batman items in store to tie into Batman Day promotions to help them move on to a range of clients wearing social distancing masks. Indeed, previous promotions included Batman, Catwoman, and Joker masks. Now seems the most opportune time for such activity.
Here is the list of what is available @
- Training of Caped Crusaders: Are you ready to team up with Batman? In the week leading up to Batman Day, fans will have the opportunity to immerse themselves in all things Batman. Every day, head to BatmanDay.com for new activities, such as DIY cape and hood instructions, how-to video on making your own Bat-Signal, and more!
- Batman 5K / 10K Virtual Race: Put on your cape and take part in the Batman Virtual 5K or 10K Run / Walk. Launched on August 31 in partnership with RAM Racing, the Batman Virtual Run allows participants to run their own race during the day or in the dark at night (but with reflective gear for safety!). Registered participants will receive an exclusive collection of Batman branded gear, including a premium zip sweater, finishing medal, cap and more. Learn more and register at https://dcbatmanrun.com/.
- Injustice 2 Mobile will feature back-to-back Batman Arenas, as well as a Classic Batman Invasion Special Event. Players will also get a free Batman Day giveaway and various sales on in-game chests and bundles.
- DC Legends will be celebrating Gotham’s protector this Batman Day! Players who log in on September 19 will receive a special gift and can visit the store to unlock and boost their favorite Gotham Super Hero or Super-Villain with a promotional sale.
- DC Universe OnlineCelebrate Batman Day with an in-game Batwing shapeshifting gem, free to all players, and a new Riddler-inspired aura for members between September 14-20.
- DC’s digital subscription service, DC UNIVERSE, will also celebrate with some exciting news you won’t want to miss!
However, not all countries seem to suffer from this shutout.
- Fans from Mexico, Brazil, France, Italy, Spain, Germany, China, and Japan can enjoy special offers, giveaways, and exclusives on a variety of Batman comics.
- Italy Cartoon Network will host Batman-themed programming starting September 14 on CN + 1.
- Fans can register now for the Batman Virtual Run / Walk in Brazil.
- In Japan, UNIQLO UT will launch a collection of t-shirts and hoodies featuring Batman and other DC characters by acclaimed artist Jean-Michel Basquiat in all UNIQLO stores on September 18.
- UK fans will be able to enter contests for a chance to win Batman Packs. In addition, there will be retail promotions with partners.
The free comics will be digital only, and the activity kits will be printed at home rather than picked up at the store.
- DC will offer free digital comics, including the first chapter of Sean Gordon Murphy’s graphic novel Batman: Curse of the White Knight, for adults and teens. Fans of all ages can enjoy free digital editions of Batman: The Adventures Continue # 1 and the first chapter of the graphic novel Batman Tales: Once Upon a Crime. Readers can find them on DCcomics.com and ReadDC.com as well as on Apple, ComiXology.com, Google, Overdrive, Madefire, and Nook.
- Families can enjoy the timeless DC Super Hero with free print-at-home activity kits available at www.BatmanDay.com.
- Explore more of the Batman universe with a curated playlist at www.BatmanDay.com.
There is also TV. Do not print comics.
- HBO Max will celebrate with a Batman takeover of the DC Brand Hub from September 18-19.
- Cartoon Network’s main international territories through APAC and EMEA will host exclusive Batman-themed programming and stunts for children in September.
At least not in comic book stores.
- Warner Bros. Consumer Products and DC are also joining forces with a long list of retail partners, including Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Target, iTunes, Walmart, GameStop, and Google Play, among others who will be running special Batman promotions.
- Global partners such as LEGO, SpinMaster and Funko will launch exclusive Batman products to celebrate DC Super Hero’s big day.
- Our Batman Day Digital Comic Book Sale will feature over 400 eBooks and over 3,000 digital comics, priced as low as 99c for periodicals and as low as $ 5.99 for eBooks here.
- Hero Initiative, the charity that helps comic book creators in medical and financial need, celebrates Batman Day with the Batman 100 Project! Hero has commissioned over 100 leading artists to make original designs for DC’s Batman # 75, and the originals will be auctioned off at the Heritage Auction (www.HA.com/Batman100) from September 13-19.
Come on DC Comics, don’t forget the Batman Day Comic Shop…